10 Best Reasons to Vote for The Bier Stein
Late last week, we were informed that USA Today had nominated us to be part of their survey of best beer bars in the country. The survey (click here!) closes on Feb. 29. You are free (and encouraged) to vote for us once a day until then. . . In the meantime, we came up with 10 reasons to put us on the list (in no particular order):
- The Best Selection – Whether you’re perusing our rotating taplist of 25 curated beers/ciders or taking a stroll by our 18 door bottle cooler, we have beer, cider, mead, kombucha, and even wine in a wide range of styles. We even have a Eugene-made soda on tap! Plus, we’ve been locally and nationally recognized for being one of the best beer bars around. Check it out at RateBeer HERE, craftbeer.com HERE, and The Eugene Weekly HERE.
- Proper Storage – From the time we receive beer from a distributor to the time it leaves our cooler or faucet, all of our beer is kept at a stable, cool temperature ensuring maximum stability. Our cooler (and most of the building) is lit with LED light, so you don’t need to worry about skunking from UV light from fluorescent bulbs.
- The Freshest Beer… when it counts the most. We check the dates on every keg and case to make sure we aren’t putting old IPA or out-of-code beer on the shelf. On the other hand, we have a lot of strong beer with some years on them; kept cold to reduce oxidation and increase enjoyment!
- Great Food! Good beer should be served with good food. Our sandwiches are big and delicious; the Eugene Weekly voted our mac ‘n cheese best overall; and we have a bi-monthly seasonal menu that features dishes made with in-season ingredients and prepared with craft beer as an ingredient.
- Beer Lovers Behind the Bar – All of our bartenders have passed the Cicerone Beer Server Test, which proves what we already know: that they love beer and always want to know more about it! There are dedicated Beer Stewards who know our beer selection like the back of their hands; if you’re looking for a particular flavor, they can get you there. And we have two Certified Cicerones and a National ranked BJCP judge on our staff… that’s a lot of beer love!
- Community-oriented business practices – Our full time employees are offered health insurance and a matching 401k program. We support dozens of local nonprofits each year, including the upcoming KLCC Microbrew Festival. And we send our food waste to be composted rather than putting it into a landfill.
- Bi-Monthly Beer Pairing Dinners! Since moving into the larger location, we’ve hosted Back Bar beer dinners featuring breweries from all over Oregon, the local homebrew club, and with beer chosen from our own extensive selection. There are some folks who have been to nearly all of the 12 dinners…
- Knowledge without snobbery – We are not out to judge anybody’s beer preference. Though we don’t carry Bud Light, we do have beers like Hop Valley’s Light Me Up Lager, a more local (and tasty, in our opinion) option in the same style. We believe beer is about enjoyment, exploration, and community.
- Sweet Events – like the recent pinewood derby put on by our friends at Lagunitas Brewing; 30 people built and raced cars, and proceeds were donated to BRING Recycling! See also our upcoming Starkbierzeit: Festival of Strong Beer that features two vertical flights and some real gems from our cellar.
- Wait… we forgot something… YOU! Our customers are pretty much the best ever. We had to move into our new location because our regulars couldn’t fit into the old one. And when we did, we made tons of new friends from all over the world who come in to enjoy some pints and admire & inquire about what we do. It can’t be said enough: thank you for supporting us for the past [almost] 11 years!
Now head over to the polls!